Introducing Beer Bread that’s also good for you
Locally sourced, certified organic wheat flour, brewery barley grains, water, non-commercial yeast and salt.
- Made using a wet dough and long slow natural fermentation to increase nutritional value, flavour, and digestibility.
- Organic + Local: Sourced from K2 Milling (Beeton, Ontario) using traditional stone milling techniques to preserve the integrity and unique character of the grain.
- 100% Vegan (e.g., no eggs, no dairy)
- 100% Halal (we recover the barley before yeast is added that converts it into beer)
- No preservatives
- No commercial yeast – made with Drake’s own sourdough starter
The end to end process to make this naturally leavened sourdough bread takes over the 2 days:
- We build a mature starter (aka levain) for approx. 10-12 hrs with a 10% inoculation.
- The mature levain is then used to inoculate a younger levain with a higher inoculation (50% inoculation for 3-4hrs)
- While the young levain ferments, we mix the flour and water in the recipe together and let it hydrate (autolyse).
- Once the young levain is sufficiently developed it’s incorporated into the autolyse and the dough is mixed. Salt and additional water are added toward the end of this process.
- Then the dough ferments at room temp for 3-4hrs and is folded onto itself at regular intervals.
- Once the loaves are shaped, they go into a fridge for a cold proof lasting roughly another 10-12hrs before baking.
- Now, do see why it tastes so good?
Did you know Barley grains are:
Good for your Health – Considered one of the healthiest whole food grains.
Studies show it’s protective against Breast Cancer, Type 2 Diabetes, Gallstones, Heart failure and lowers cholesterol.
Good Nutrition – Double the fiber and protein; Less gluten (but NOT gluten-free) and low glycemic compared to white flour bread.
How is the Barley sourced?
In the craft brewing process, once the barley has been boiled to release sugar, the grains are considered ‘spent’ and traditionally provided as animal feed or disposed – 185 million KGs of brewery grains are disposed in Ontario every year.
Instead, if we took those spent grains and made food with it, we could feed every Ontarian 2 loaves of bread every week!
These brewery grains have twice the amount of fibre and protein compared to wheat (it’s the reason it’s used as animal feed) – Fibre is ideal for reducing cholesterol and is one of the whole grains listed on the Canadian food guide.
We believe you can do something about climate change (and your heart) on a daily basis, simply by eating our Beer Bread.
Email us for Wholesale pricing and/or request FREE samples