Jump to Journey: 2018 – 2019 – 2020 – 2021– 2022 – 2023
We won an award for Community Building! details: Instagram / Facebook
Back in Hamilton at Strathcona Market (in former Mustard Seed Coop location)
Shortlisted as an Agent of change to City of Guelph’s COIL Colab: Connecting the chain – Increasing circularity in upstream food systems
Featured in Circular Food Solutions in Canada: A Coast to Coast Landscape Scan report by the National Zero Waste Council
Featured in LCBO’s Food and Drink (Autumn Issue, 2021)
Spent Goods was really proud to be part of a documentary short series by Motioneer for Loblaws’ Insider’s Project:
It explores Canadians food fighters (loved that title) and humbled to be in such great company of individuals and businesses working on circular economy solutions.
Who knew so many people are doing so much in this space!
Really loved the warm, visually stunning colour palates and storytelling. Enjoyed the bite sized pacing and found it very engaging.
And if that didn’t grab you, how about this still from the shoot?
Add Seeded sourdough to our menu!
Launching 2 different bagels: Our pretzel bagels AND “I’ve Spent Everything” bagels – come try them at Evergreen (starting Sept 11th) and Leslieville Farmer’s market (Sept 12th onwards)
Our first wholesale customer since post-Drake bakery closure, receives pretzels!
Try them at The Gaslight’s patio in the west end.
Watch Sophi’s interview with Sarah Christie from Earthcareshow about Spent Goods’ mission.
Aug 21 – A big welcome to Eduardo and Belle from Belle’s Bakery!
They’ve incorporated spent barley to make our pretzels (you can try them at Evergreen Farmer’s market on Saturdays now)
Looking forward to developing our new partnership.
Aug 4 – It’s been an interesting journey in the last 3 weeks since we paused operations with Drake Commissary.
Here’s what we’ve been upto since:
- Meeting with different sized bakeries in the city and tasting their goods.
- 2 bakeries are currently testing with spent grains!
- Looking into producing 1-2 products ourselves by renting a commercial kitchen and selling through our own retail store
- Developing an online website that features all foods made with Spent Goods. A one stop shop for delicious foods that reduce climate change
At this point, given the current climate of Stage 3 economy re-opening and labour shortages, we hope to be back on a limited basis by mid Sept 2021.
We know that this is less than ideal – if you know of a bakery that we could work with or a small retail location, do let us know.
We thank you for patience and support during this time.
July 16 – Drake Commissary, our bakery partner of 3 years closes wholesale bakery department. Spent Goods team to pause production as of July 16th while working to secure new partnerships.
- English muffins, pretzels, bagels – they flew off the shelf our first week at Hamilton’s Dundurn Market.
- Pizza! Pizza! Who wants pizza? Spent Goods frozen sourdough pizza now available at Evergreen Brick Works & Leslieville Farmers’ Markets, and our online store. Check back soon for more info!
- Choose Phancy Food & Catering for your next event. Meagan uses only the best — Spent Goods bread, of course.
- After a winter hiatus, Lady Hummingbird Culinary Arts is back at Wychwood Farmers’ Market. Vegan chef Amina loves to use our burger buns and bagels for her sandwiches.
- Australia’s The Source Bulk Foods has arrived in Canada and our butter crackers will feature in their new location in the west end’s Roncy Village.
- Say ‘hi’ to Liz when you visit Junction Triangle’s Noble Coffee Co for your next sandwich, on Spent Goods bread naturally!
- You can find our butter crackers in special boxes prepared by Pretty Green Shop in the Junction.
- 250 butter cracker pouches are on their way to The Society of Beer Drinking Ladies.
- Hi Orillia! We’re coming this spring, thanks to Amy and Don of The Rind & Truckle, your new artisinal cheese and goods shop.
- Dihan from Spent Goods joined Erin Andrew from Impact Zero to discuss Toronto’s Circular Economy – a big thank you to Ann Hall and Anela Dujsic, hosts of Impactorum
- Summer 2021, bring it on! We’re back at Toronto’s Leslieville Farmers’ Market Sundays 9am-2pm. Note their new location at Greenwood Park, 150 Greenwood Ave, M4L 2R1
- NEW! Pre-order your Spent Goods online by noon Tuesdays and pick up on Fridays, directly from The Drake Commissary, 128 Sterling Rd.
- Visit Grow, Gather & Co. to order our famous butter crackers. Their delivery area is from the 401 to 427 to DVP, including Leslieville and the Beaches.
- Welcome Dipesh of Canary & Fox (Junction) to our pre-order program. Order online, pick up at C&F. Couldn’t be easier.
- And we’re back! Get your freshly baked Spent Goods bread every Saturday at Toronto’s Evergreen Brick Works Farmers’ Market. Pre-order online and you’ll never be disappointed.
- Fans of MooFree stay tuned. You can soon order Spent Goods via their online store.
- Accepted into Ontario Made, a program representing 750,000 workers and promoting the very best this province has to offer.
- Visit Island Cafe, Toronto Island’s freshest eats, for our vegan burger buns.
- Expanded our online store. Choose a pickup location near you and pre-order. Look for special deals available only online!
- Entered global challenge to promote circular economy.
- Part of documentary short by Motioneer exploring food waste. Coming to a browser Summer 2021.
- Launched Urban Bulk and Coco Market as ‘pickup’ points for online orders
- Enjoy a soft pretzel with your next brew from The Gaslight (Junction Triangle).
- Say hello to Tyler & Barbara when you pick up Spent Goods at Safehouse Organic Grocer, our latest retailer in Toronto’s Roncy neighbourhood.
View this post on Instagram
- Signed up Loco Fields who deliver to Stratford, St Mary’s, London, Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge & Toronto — and everything in between. Southwest Ontario, we’ve got you covered!
- Added Erin and her health & wellness store – Coco Market (Rosedale subway).
- Welcomed Kevin & Iyana of KASPACE Café (Leslieville) to Spent Goods family. Bread available to take home and used in their awesome menu.
- Paused deliveries to Annex Market, while they restructure.
- Launched The Tulip Variety Store and Pingle’s Farm Market as ‘pickup points’ for online orders.
- Participated on a panel for Drawdown Toronto’s Food Waste Challenge.
- Watch this video on how businesses Bruized, Baremarket and Spent Goods deal with leftovers and our suggestions on how individuals can also participate.
- Paused deliveries to Zero Waste Bulk in Waterloo, for the winter.
- Added new retail grocery – Summerhill Market – Annex (West Toronto).
- Added new retail & online marketplace – Scarborough Co-op Market (Scarborough).
- Added new retail grocery – Pingle’s Farm Market (Hampton, ON).
- Launched Mustard Seed Co+op and Jinglepear Deli as ‘pickup points’ for online orders.
- Launched our first chatbot to provide instant answers to frequently asked questions. We’d love your feedback!
- Mustard Seed Co+op (Hamilton) joined the Spent Goods family.
- Added new retail grocery – The Tulip Variety Store (West Toronto). Welcome Dayna.
- Ran our 2nd promotion with Mama Earth Organics, sold 1500 fresh beer pretzels in 1 week.
- Part of Belgian|Canadian Business Chamber’s 2021 Virtual Beer Tasting swag box.
- Submitted proposal to Impact Canada’s Food waste commercialization.
- Carved out time as a team from day to day to re-visit our sustainable packaging strategy.
- Drum roll please! Check out our latest Social Impact summary.